Being a woman in India making a mark for yourself requires a lot of hard work and determination since it’s a male-dominated society. There are of course, a number of inspirational stories from across India, where women, from different backgrounds, have achieved extraordinary success. One such story which inspiring all the Indian women is none other than ICICI CEO Chanda Kochhar success story.
With a strong belief in her heart that women in any organization can rise just by their talent and not by special favors owing to their gender – Chanda Kochhar has found a place in the list of 50 most powerful businesswomen in the Fortune Global 2014 analysis. She is world famous for her corporate leadership and bold decision-making skills. Currently, she is Managing Director and the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of the ICICI Bank, India’s largest privatized financial institution. Chanda Kochhar success story is the leading example of modern Indian women empowerment and how they are trying to make the world recognize their talent.
Chanda Kochhar was born and brought up in Jodhpur, Rajasthan in India. She had been a brilliant student and completed her schooling from St. Angela Sophia School in Jaipur and her bachelor’s degree from Jai Hind College in Mumbai. After that, she pursued her master’s degree in the reputed Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies. In college, she was given the Wockhardt Gold Medal for her academic performance and J. N. Bose award in cost accountancy.
She is an important persona of the core ICICI team and has helped the organization to try different ventures. Her vision was too broad. It was her decision to keep working hours of the bank 12 hours a day whereas rest banks worked for 7 hours a day. She is one of the few bankers who promoted the idea of ATM machine installations throughout the country encouraging electronic banking on a large scale. ICICI bank received the prestigious award of the “Best Retail Bank in India” for the years 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005 under her efficient leadership.
With over 30 years long career, Chanda Kochhar has carved a niche for herself in the Indian retail banking. Kochhar has successfully changed the face of the banking sector in India with her effort and determination.So, there’s no surprise in her being ranked 20th on the list of Most Powerful Women in the World by the Forbes Magazine.
Chanda Kochhar Succes Story: Achievements –
- Retail Banker of the Year by the Asian Banker in the year 2004
- Business Woman of the Year by the Economic Times in the year 2005
- Rising Star Award by the Retail Banker International in 2006
- Featured in the list of “30 Most Powerful Woman Leaders” in business for eight years continuously.
- Transformational Business Leader of the Year by the All India Management Association in the year 2010
- Ranked the 10th in position in the list by Fortune of “ Most Powerful Women in Business” in 2010
- Achieved 92nd rank in Forbes list of “Most Powerful Woman” for 2010.
- The CNBC TV 18 awarded her in 2010 as the “Outstanding Woman Business Leader of the Year”.
- She became the 11th in the Financial Times list for the “Top 50 Woman in World Business
- Received Padma Vibhushan 2011.
Chanda Kochhar is a true inspiration for every Indian woman who dreams big. She has maintained a perfect balance between her career and family. Kochhar is ever ready for the challenges and faces criticism boldly. She is the perfect role model for all modern Indian women who are trying to strike a balance between work and home can see how it leads to success and peace in life.